Sunday, July 24, 2011

Embossing

Great to see the sun today...still cold, but at least no rain!

I have come across a couple of techniques that I just had to try out.
Used them on this card

I found this awesome heat embossing technique using silver embossing powder and utee.
This technique was so much fun I made a few bird cages. On some I used gold embossing powder instead of silver. On one of the gold bird cages I omitted the black paint. They all looked fabulous!

The embossed background was made by dabbing Faded Jeans and Chipped Sapphire Distress inks onto a Cuttlebug folder and then lightly misted with water. Insert water colour paper and emboss through the Cuttlebug.

The tape across the bottom of the card is masking tape which I have rolled over a inked stamp.I applied some color to the tape with Antique Linen Distress Stain.
It's just like Tim Holtz's tissue tape...only easier on the pockets! Thinking it will also look good with a music pattern.

The bird cage and birds are Tim Holtz mini dies. (my fave!)
Brown/white twine to 'hold' bird cage.
'Love Birds' sentiment (Darkroom Door) stamped onto grunge paper which had been coloured with Faded Jeans Stain.
White paper flower sprayed with Bell Bottom Jeans Glimmer mist.

I am entering this card for TWO challenges. Simon Says show some embossing and Stampotique Designers Challenge to uses flowers.

I enjoyed making this card, so made another

On this card I used Forest Moss and Spiced Marmalade distress inks for the background. Same technique used on bird cage as first card, but changed the silver for gold embossing powder.
The branch is from Tim Holtz mini Branch and Leaf dies set.
The white flower was misted with Apple Glimmer mist .
Both cards have a folded black base to bring out the colours.

13 comments:

  1. Awesome cards Shirl... really love the embossing and how cool to roller stamp the masking tape... great idea... utee embossing looks fabulous too...

    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shirley these cards are fabby! The bird cages look fantastic, and the masking tape idea is really neat - I love the colours in the second one especially!

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful cards - love the colouring and textured backgrounds... Thank you for joining in with the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge this week !
    Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The flowers looks great on both of these cards, both so dainty and pretty. Thanks for joining us at Stampotique Designer's Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, both cards look stunning, I'll have to try the embossing technique, yours look sooo cool!!! & what a clever idea to stamp onto masking tape...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty cards. Love the two different looks equally fantastic. Thanks for joining us at Stampotique Designer's Challenge. Gez.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both are very beautiful! Thanks for joining us at Stampotique Designer's Challenge # 34.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the background technique Shirl! Just lovely! Thanks for the tip on the masking tape. My wallet thanks you as does my hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely cards-I really like the blue of the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Two gorgeous cards Shirley, love those techniques you used! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. The background technique using the inks in the embossing folder looks fantastic - great tip. The cards are gorgeous, I think the blue one was my favourite too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wonderful. Your backgrounds are fabulous. Kim

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm having a renewed love affair with my Distress Inks, so I'm absolutely loving your cards! Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete